Friday, February 15, 2013

Character Arc



I have finally discovered what is the main difficulty with Epic Novel Part One. Did I mention this is the messiest draft I have ever written? I was reading back through it this morning, trying to get the draft to a point where I can have someone critique it. I was tempted to start rearranging scenes again. Why can’t I get this right?

Suddenly, it hit me: I’m having problems because my character is underdeveloped. He is the one who is messy. I have a basic idea of how his growth manifests, but the details are fuzzy. Before I can get this draft to the point it needs to be, I have to get my MC to where he needs to be. I have a tendency to get my characters’ points of growth confused or mixed up.

If I had my lecture notes and writing books with me (I’m out of town), I would spend some time flipping through to refresh my memory on character arc. That will have to wait until I get home, so I don’t have much insight in how to fix this problem. One thing I do know: before I can write this draft the way it needs to be written, I must answer a few questions.

  • What is my character’s desire line for this particular section of the story?
  • What is point ‘A’, what is point ‘B’, and what does the journey between them look like?
  • What are the details of this journey--does MC have different friends than I thought he did?
  • How do I flesh out that journey in scenes?
I’ll let you know once I’ve made some progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment