Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Critical Thesis: Hypertext Narrative

I realize it has been far too long since I updated. Toward the end of last semester I began to really struggle with getting everything done. I often thought of updating, but I couldn't if I wanted to get everything else done on time.

I'm now in my third semester of graduate school, which is the critical thesis semester. I'm writing my thesis on hypertext narrative and children's literature. I've spent several hours today at a coffee shop writing the thesis. I think it's going fairly well.

I read a book for my thesis that just screamed hypertext narrative. If you want a taste of what a young adult hypertext narrative might be like, get a copy of Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins. I would suggest reading the book in a random order. Just pick a chapter and start reading. I read the book in order until chapter 16. Then I read randomly, picking chapters here and there, keeping track of which ones I had already read. I loved reading the book this way. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, except for the ending, which I felt was forced. If the book had been written as a hypertext narrative, it wouldn't have needed an ending, so maybe that's why it was forced. Try it and see what you think.

Anne M.

1 comment:

  1. I might have to try that--I'm very much a straight narrative type of person, so that would be a stretch for me, but it could be a lot of fun!
    How are you doing? Everything still going well?

    ReplyDelete